Sunday, July 12, 2009

Cuban Sandwiches Recipe


I love Cuban food. My favorite is a Cubano aka Cuban sandwich. As I mentioned yesterday...I bought a panini grill. Last night I made Cuban sandwiches for the first time. I couldn't find any Cuban bread at the store. I tried a couple Mexican grocery stores but no luck. I had to explain what Cuban bread was to a man who worked at one of them. I was a little apprehensive about asking because I didn't want him to think I thought Cubans and Mexican people are the same. I guess some get really offended when you mistake their ethnicity. The last thing I wanted to do is offend anyone. Bless the mans heart when I said Cuban bread is for Cuban Sandwiches he showed me where the sliced bread was. All is well though. I just adjusted the bread. I got my favorite bread from Kroger. It is a sweet Italian bread. It's also the bread that I use to make my special homemade garlic bread. It tasted just like a Cuban sandwich.
Here is my recipe.
1 loaf of Sweet Italian bread from Kroger---you can use Cuban bread if you can find it
1 pound roast pork ----I cooked my own roast pork and shredded it
1 pound ham---I used Hillshire Farms Deli Selects
Swiss Cheese
Pickles ----the flat sandwich ones are the best to use
Mustard That is optional. I personally don't care for mustard.

Preheat your Panini grill
Cut the bread in to two pieces. Cut one piece horizontally.
Layer the Swiss cheese, Ham, roast pork, pickles and more cheese. Put the top on the sandwich. I find it helps if you smoosh it together. Lightly rub some olive oil on the top and bottom of the sandwich. Make sure you turn down your panini grill to Medium and then put in the panini grill until the cheese is melted and the bread gets crispy.

Enjoy!

Good thing I am having one for dinner tonight cause I was about drooling typing this.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl--cuban sandwiches are my favorite sandwich!! Now I am starving!

    ReplyDelete