Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Accent


I wrote a post about Noah’s accent, but I have recently discovered that I too have an accent. It is not a certain regional accent; it’s my own weird accent. There is no dispute that I am a little weird, and definitely unique. I do occasionally do say fer instead of for or yer for your, which is a typical Indiana accent. I don’t say warsh, like my Grandma Rose did, who would jokingly correct herself in my presence.  My accent is something I only have.  Noah doesn’t do it, and I am not sure where it came from but it is pretty funny.  When I say certain words like anything with a short o sound it comes out like eu. So, movie is phonetically spelled meuvie, move is phonetically spelled meuve for example.  I also do the same thing with the double oo sound.  Not everyone notices it, because I asked them if I talk funny. They said they never noticed it. Now I am being lovingly teased about it.  Now I am constantly listening to the way I talk, before I didn’t even notice I did it.

Do you have a weird unique accent? I look forward to hearing about it.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how you can slowly take on accents, isn't it? When we lived in the South I had a slight accent though I tried hard not to. I didn't even think I had one, but when I would get on the phone with a friend from the West coast she would tell me I had a very very slight drawl. Soooo funny. :) (And my grandma says "warsh", too. It's so cute!)

    ReplyDelete