Friday, November 2, 2012

Secrets to Aging Gracefully



A lot of women are concerned about growing older; I think that some believe that if you get older you lose your beauty. I don’t think that is the case because no matter how old you are, you are beautiful.  I don’t think it matters how long you have been on the earth, or if you have wrinkles or grey hair you are still beautiful. My grandma Rose was beautiful until she passed away; she had grey hair and wrinkles. I used to gently pinch the loose skin on her hands when I was little.  Now in the days of plastic surgery it is like if you have one wrinkle you need to torture yourself to get rid of it.  I am not really sure what the point of becoming a human pin cushion to look beautiful is.  I believe you can age gracefully without the use of needles and being cut open and poked and prodded.  I thought I would share some ways for aging gracefully.

Always wear sunscreen when you are outside. You can get sunburn when it is cloudy. You can damage layers of your skin and get sunspots from the UV rays.  Not to mention you can get skin cancer. Sunscreen will also help you moisturize your skin.

Eat foods rich in antioxidants. The antioxidants can protect your body from diseases and help you feel good.  

Eat foods rich in vitamin A to protect your vision, as you get older your eyes are extra important as your vision can start to go.  Eating healthy is just plain important, I don’t think having a treat every now and then would be a bad thing.

Take a multivitamin or vitamin supplements to protect your body and your bones.

Drink a lot of water. I know that is simple advice but water makes you feel better. It flushes out your toxins and helps curve hunger.

Get some sunlight. I don’t mean lay out in the sun but get some sunlight. The sun makes you happy. If you live in an area where the sun doesn’t shine a lot when it is colder, you can get a machine that makes artificial sunlight. I know that when I am having a bad day if I spend some time out in the sun I feel better.

Get exercise. I believe that you are only as old as you feel. I think that getting out and doing those things you enjoy can be good for you. It helps you stayin shape, and if you sit around and do nothing you are going to miss out on those fun things. Please know your own limits but I don’t think age makes you destined to sit in a chair to grow old.  Even a walk with a loved one is fun. It helps create long lasting memories. I still remember walking to the store with my Grandma Rose when I was a little girl and I wouldn’t trade those moments for anything. One of my favorite quotes is “Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying” – The Shawshank Redemption.

Spend time with friends and family; surround yourself with your loved ones. You would be surprised how young you can feel when you are around those you love. Especially children, you can become a big kid in a matter of moments.  Get together with the girls and laugh until you snort or cry.  Make memories.
The most important tip I can give you for aging gracefully is simple. Enjoy life. My best friend’s dad is always saying enjoy. So, I ask you to just enjoy life.  Don’t worry about growing old, just enjoy now.

So what if you get wrinkles, in some cultures wrinkles mean beauty and grace.  Each wrinkle you have tells a story.  They are there for a reason. Instead of getting rid of them why not just love them.  They are a part of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment