Thursday, January 12, 2017

Taking medicine can be fun for kids with MediMixer




As a parent, you hate when your child is sick. You would do anything to be sick for them. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work that way and they have to go to the doctor. When they have to take medicine is when it gets tricky. Many children do not like taking medicine. That can be a good thing except when they need to take it. When I was a kid, I hated taking pills. I have this dreadful memory of when we would go on road trips, my mom would give me a spoonful of peanut butter with car sick medicine in it. I used to get car sick a lot. It was pretty much a given if I was in the car for more than an hour. She always gave it to me at some awful time like at 5 am. We always left early to get there sooner. It was horrible.  There was no liquid or gummy form of it. I still to this day can’t eat a spoonful of peanut butter. It makes my stomach churn thinking about it. I can’t even watch someone else eat peanut butter on a spoon.

I also was very scared of pills. I am not sure if I thought I was going to choke or what was going to happen. I still don’t know how people can take pills without water. I eventually learned about putting it in applesauce and swallowing it that way. It worked for a while, until I ran out of applesauce. I pretty much put it in anything I could. Everything from pudding to spaghetti sauce. As I got older, I didn’t really eat applesauce so I either didn’t have any or I had a jar that I would take a spoon of it out at a time. That was pretty gross because it would sit for a while in the fridge. Finally, I got over my fear, although I will tell you, when I was pregnant, I took my prenatal vitamin in applesauce because that sucker was huge. I was on bed rest at the hospital for two weeks before Noah was born, and I had no applesauce. I had to put my mama pants on and figure it out. Looking back if I would have asked my mom to bring me some applesauce cups she probably would have.


Now as a mom, I have already experienced Noah’s disdain for taking medicine. He has had the occasional antibiotic and it has been a huge production to get him to take it. He needed five minutes to prepare. He would have to run around the house three times. Then he would whine for a few minutes, and work up the courage and then finally take it. While I kept my fingers crossed that he wouldn’t spit it out all over the floor, he would need to run around the house five more times.  I wish I could say I was making that up, but I am not. I learned about a product called MediMixer. It is a really cool device that will help encourage your children to take their medicine. It was created by Keith and Jennie Katz after long nights of getting their children to take their medicine.
MediMixer works with both liquid and solid medicines and vitamins too. It will crush the pill up. In some circumstances there are some time release medicines that can not be used in the MediMixer. 

There are also certain drinks with high acidity levels that can not be mixed with medicine. BEFORE using the MediMixer to grind or mix any medications with a liquid, you MUST consult with your child's Doctor, your child's pediatrician and your pharmacist.  Noah has no problem with taking his vitamins. I love the design. It reminds me of Rube Goldberg. Noah is obsessed with Rube Goldberg, he has already said when he gets older he is going to enter the Rube Goldberg competition at Purdue. Not only is a cool way to take medicine, it also gives them an incentive. Kids sometimes need more than a but you will feel better honey, I know I have tried it. It doesn’t work. It comes with tickets they can earn for taking their medicine. If you have ever taken your children anywhere where tickets are, you know how much they love earning them. They exchange them for the goofiest prizes. You can also use the tickets to remember if you have given them their medicine.

The MediMixer doesn’t come with prizes, it’s up to you to come up with something they would like to cash them in for. I would probably offer dinner from our favorite pizza place, or a few dollar toy. It doesn’t even have to be something that costs money. Noah got all A’s this quarter. I decided to give him a reward because it was great. I asked him to give me some ideas, and he told me that he wanted to start staying up till 9 pm on school nights. He had been asking me for a while to do it. You know your child the best so some little toys may not be something they are interested in. It’s something all families should have in their homes. It can save you time, stress and your sanity when it comes to medicine. It will get your kids excited about taking their medicine and they may even ask you for it instead of having to find them from their hiding spot.  I think it would be great for children’s hospitals too. School nurses should invest in MediMixer too. Since it’s fully cleanable and should be cleaned after each use. It would definitely change the way kids take medicine.  

For more information visit  MediMixer

Be sure to sign up for updates, please visit MediMixer.

No comments:

Post a Comment