Sunday, February 5, 2017

Homemade Elephant Ears made from Rhodes Dinner Rolls

We decided to have a party on Super Bowl Sunday. Noah isn't really into football so he had a better idea. Every year we watch the Kitten Bowl together. If you know him, cats are something he loves. He wanted to invite some friends over for a party. I agreed. 

I thought about what we would have to eat. It wasn't really at meal time so lunch was off the table. The Kitten Bowl runs all day. Noah was concerned about people being at church. We decided to have the party from 3 pm to 6 pm. I had some Rhodes Frozen Rolls that I picked up at Walmart. They also sent me an amazing cookbook. I had never thought about using frozen bread dough in recipes before. There are so many recipes I want to try asap!  As I was looking through the cookbook, it happened. I think the page was covered in drool. In my own hands I had a recipe for Elephant Ears. If you remember, Elephant Ears are my favorite fair food. I had toyed with making them in the past but never did. Sure I could have found a recipe online but I didn't. 



So, I decided we would have a Kitten Bowl Carnival Party. We would have Elephant Ears, homemade cotton candy and snow cones. The recipe for elephant ears is so easy. I realized this could be dangerous, and I might eat too many of them daily. All I had to do is thaw 12 Rhodes Dinner Rolls for 4 hours. I decided to make the cotton candy ahead of time because it can take a while. 

Here's the Elephant Ears Recipe
12 Rhodes Dinner Rolls thawed to room temperature. 
Cinnamon and Sugar
Oil 

Roll out the dough in a 4 inch circle. 

Heat 3-4 inches of oil in a skillet at 375 degrees. I used an electric skillet to control the temperature. 

When the oil is hot carefully put the dough Circle in the oil and fry until golden brown. I used tongs. 

Flip over and remove on a cookie sheet with paper towels. 

Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. 

Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy. 

I love them because they are delicious and they are the perfect size. They aren't huge like the ones at the fair. They were a huge hit and so was the party. They watched about ten minutes of the Kitten Bowl. They had ate everything within the first hour. They were four very hungry fourth graders. They spent the time running around the house yelling and playing. It was a huge success. Now I have to resist making Elephant Ears every day. 

For more information visit Rhodes Bake-N-Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment