Sunday, October 11, 2009

My favorite cookbook as a kid

Photobucket
I am a big advocate for cooking with your children or grandchildren. I grew up in the kitchen. I really loved helping my mom and grandma cook in the kitchen. I was an expert cook by the time I was in 3rd grade. I could cook better than most adults. I would make bread from scratch and all sorts of delicious treats and meals. I find cooking very therapeutic. I am going to teach my son to cook. He has already shown interest in cooking. He likes to stir. He helped me make his birthday cake this year. Cooking with your kids is a fun way to bond with them in the kitchen and through food.

When I was 8 years old, I begged my mom for a cookbook called Kid’s Cooking by Klutz that came with my own set of measuring spoons. I love that cookbook so much. It has always been one of my favorites. Yes I still have it to this day. I still use it too. The measuring spoons are long gone though. I lost them somewhere during a move. Well, I think..I still have the Tablespoon somewhere maybe. This book has the best brownie recipe. In my eight year old handwriting it says “World’s best brownie recipe” complete with little hearts. You know if there is hearts it has to be awesome.

There are all sorts of recipes that are broken up by meal types and desserts. It even has recipes for play dough and face paint in the non-edible section. My mom and I used to joke about some of the recipes that have pictures with a “grown up with a knife”. We always thought that the pictures were silly looking. I still chuckle when I see one of the grown ups with a knife.

This book is a perfect cookbook for kids. I think it is something that all kid chefs should have. The recipes are easy to follow and are worded so kids will understand. I have had this cookbook for 20 years and it is still in pretty good condition minus the food stains from using it so much. I was looking at it online and now they have easy to wipe off pages. I would never trade this cookbook in for a newer model. Out of all the cookbooks I had a child this one will always remain as my favorite.

My son will use this cookbook too. I am not sure if I will get him a new copy or pass on mine when he turns 5. That will have to be decided at a later date. I have so many treasured memories with Kid’s Cooking. Every time I look at this book, I remember them. So as the holidays are approaching please remember Kid’s Cooking by Klutz for your young chef. It is a great learning guide. It is only $14.99 so it is an economical present that hopefully provide many many years of memories like it has for me.

This not a review. This is just something fun I decided to write.

2 comments:

  1. Actually it is a review of sorts. You discuss a product with which you have had a personal experience and from your comments would highly recommend. The fact that this cookbook is still relevant today speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I recently published an illustrated cookbook for kids we thought you'd appreciate called:

    The Kids-Did-It! Cookie Bookie: A (fun) Cookie-Baking Cookbook for Kids, Illustrated by Kids!

    It was designed as a fun, visually engaging introduction to baking for kids 3 to 12, with 14 tasty, easy-to-follow, and really fun-to-look-at cookie recipes, each illustrated by delightful animals or other watercolor illustrations from the Kids-Did-It! Designs® kids’ art collection. Imagine “Chocolate Chipmunks”, Peanut Butterflies”, “Moon Melts”, “Monster Mish-Mashes” or “Peppermint Pig Puffs”.

    It’s beautifully designed, “cute”, “adorable”, “easy enough that even my husband understands”, and we think it appeals to anyone looking for a fun activity or gift for kids or grand kids. Even better, each young artists earns a royalty, p l u s the recipes are delicious!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete