Sunday, March 14, 2010

Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with Duncan Hines

It is almost St. Patrick’s Day, growing up we celebrated it with wearing green so I wouldn’t get pinched at school. We also received a small little treat because I am extremely Irish. I remember looking for rainbows on St. Patrick’s Day and looking for pots of gold when I was little. I am Irish from both sides of my family. My mom’s parents are both of Irish decent. My Grandma Rose’s family came over from Ireland on a ship called the Spotted Cow.

On my dad’s side is where I get most of my Irish heritage. My Grandpa Bill was born in Ireland and all his family is from Ireland. My dad was also born in Ireland. So, I am more Irish than I am anything else. I am first generation American. I am the second person in my dad’s entire family to be born in America with my sister being the first. So, to me St. Patrick’s Day is not just an excuse to get drunk but it reminds me of my heritage and family.

I thought it would be fun to share some recipes for some delicious St. Patrick’s Day treats from Duncan Hines with you guys. You all know how much Noah and I like to cook. I have two recipes to share with you that Duncan Hines has developed in celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. The recipes are Leprechaun Key Lime Cake and Clover Patch Brownies.

Leprechaun Key Lime Cake
Photobucket

Try your luck with our cool, creamy, refreshing Leprechaun Key Lime Cake. There's a splash of lemon-lime in every bite thanks to Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme Cake Mix, lemon pudding, lime slices and Key lime juice.

Ingredients:

Cake:
• 1 pkg Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe® Lemon Supreme Cake Mix
• 1 (3.4 oz) pkg lemon instant pudding and pie filling
• 4 large eggs
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1 cup water
• 1/4 cup Key lime juice

Glaze:
• 2 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1/3 cup Key lime juice
• 2 tbsp water
• 2 tbsp butter or margarine, melted

Garnish:
• additional confectioners' sugar, lime slices and fresh strawberry slices

Baking Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 10-inch Bundt or tube pan.
2. For cake, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, oil, 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup Key lime juice in large bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer until moistened. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes.
3. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 25 minutes. Remove cake from pan onto cooling rack. Return cake to pan. Poke holes in top of warm cake with toothpick or long-tined fork.
4. For glaze, combine 2 cups confectioner's sugar, 1/3 cup Key lime juice, 2 tablespoons water and melted butter in medium bowl. Pour slowly over top of warm cake. Cool completely. Invert onto serving plate. Dust with additional confectioner's sugar. Garnish with lime slices and strawberry slices, if desired

Clover Patch Brownies
Bring a bit-o-luck to the kitchen by creating these shamrock-covered Clover Patch Brownies using our Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix.
Photobucket

Ingredients:
• 1 pkg Duncan Hines Family Style Chewy Fudge Brownie Mix
• 1 pkg pre-made marzipan or fondant
• green food coloring
• green toothpicks

Baking Instructions:
1. Bake brownies according to instructions on box. Remove from oven and let cool. Cut brownies into squares.
2. Meanwhile, knead green food coloring into marzipan or fondant until desired shade of green is achieved.
3. Form small (1-inch) 3-leaf and 4-leaf clover shapes out of fondant or marzipan. Be realistic and make a lot more 3-leaf clovers than 4-leaf clovers.
4. Stick clover shapes on top of green toothpicks.
5. Insert little bunches of clovers onto each brownie.

Duncan Hines is available in your local store's baking aisle.

I hope you try out one or both of these recipes with your little leprechauns. It will definitely add some Irish fun to your day and maybe bring you some good luck too. I wish everyone a Happy and Safe St. Patrick’s Day. Don’t forget to wear green or you might be pinched by a mischievous little leprechaun.

Thank you to Duncan Hines for providing me with a couple mixes to try out these recipes with my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment