Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Have you seen my glasses?

Everyone in my family wears eyeglasses, it seems like. My mom wears glasses. My grandma always wore glasses too. She would always lose her glasses, but they were just reading glasses. Most of my family just needs reading glasses. They usually just buy the kind you get at the drug store. My mom has been known to wear dollar store glasses because my mom is the worst at losing her glasses or breaking them. She has an annex of glasses that she has bought as backups. Even though she buys like 5 pairs at a time within a couple months the glasses are broken or lost. I assume my son has something to do with that. He probably has a secret hiding place for all of the things that go missing in our house that he has picked up from other people’s houses. He has probably broken a couple pairs too. He likes to wear other people’s glasses.

My sister and I both wear prescription glasses. I am pretty sure we are both near sided. It wouldn’t surprise me if my sister wears glasses as a fashion statement. It just seems like something she would do. I have wore glasses since I was in the 5th grade. I remember when I got them. It started out so I could see the board. I hated wearing them. I would just try and squint to see, sit closer, and forget to bring them anything I could do. I didn’t want to be made fun of because of them. I can’t remember if I was or not. It didn’t take me long to lose those glasses. After that I didn’t really wear my new glasses.

Now I wear my glasses all the time because I want to be able to see. I have really pretty eyes and you can’t see them if I am squinting all the time. It is also really hard to watch TV or navigate my way through a store. I am so used to wearing my glasses I feel weird when I am not wearing them. I personally think I look better without my glasses but seeing is more important than what I look like. It’s funny how our opinions change when we get older. I have pretty good luck with my glasses. They have only been replaced 2 or 3 times in the last 10 years. I know I need to go and get eye exams every year I think it is. I don’t have vision insurance and I hate getting my eyes checked. I really can’t stand when they shoot the puff of air in your eye or trying on glasses. I am one of those no fuss no muss types of women. I usually grab something and try it on and if I like it I get it.

Remember my prescription eyeglasses, I lost in 5th grade? I found them like 10 years later. I lost them at my grandma’s house. Come to find out my grandma was wearing them all those years. It was weird to see them again after all that time. I am sure my grandma thought they were hers, I probably left them behind and since she wasn’t wearing her glasses she thought; oh these must be mine. I am not sure how she saw with them. I remember being little and trying on her glasses and not being able to see a thing. My glasses were not that strong because I can still see without them but, she wore reading glasses. I miss my grandma so much. I would gladly give her my glasses if I could just see her again. It is funny how something as simple as glasses could have such a great story to go along with them. Make sure you get your eyes checked. The world is a much more beautiful place when you can see properly.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Great article!!! Loved reading this story!!

    ReplyDelete