Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Price of Freedom

In honor of Memorial Day, I wanted to share with you all a poem I wrote in 2004 shortly after my friend was killed in action in Iraq. I was best friends with his wife and I spent a lot of time with her and their children. I saw his daughter ask about her dad. She was only 3 and I knew his son would never have a memory of his dad because he was only 10 months old. I want to remind you all what Memorial Day is about.

The Price of Freedom

What is the price of a soldier’s blood
Their mangled bodies laying in mud
We speak of freedom but lives were lost
How many more lives will the so called freedom cost
The 15 minutes of fame
All that is left is just a name
On a plaque in some museum
What happens to the family left behind
The pain never lessens so they find
Children left without fathers
Never an explanation why
So many nightmares too much time to cry
Some so young no memories they ever had
So many unanswered questions Where is my dad?

Remember to thank a soldier and remember the fallen. Thank you to all the soldiers and my brother in law Mike. Rest in Peace Chris and all the other fallen soldiers. Thank you to those who gave their lives for our freedom.

I hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day Weekend. Please take a few moments to remember exactly what the price of freedom really is.

This poem was written directly about the experiences I went through and saw. I am not saying only men are soldiers.

3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute for your friend. sorry for your & your friends loss. We can never forget all who have fought for our freedoms! And we can never let them take them away. God Bless!
    Faythe @GrammyMousetails

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful tribute Sheila - that's a great poem. I am happy you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend..That poem is so heartfelt!:0

    ReplyDelete