Sunday, December 26, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake, I Love You, Yes I Do!

When I was little, I loved Strawberry Shortcake. This is back when she was new, not the remodeled version. I loved the movie Strawberry Shortcake in Big Apple City. I do own it on DVD now. I love the Peculiar Purple Pie man from Porcupine Peak, although he scared me just a little bit. My love for Strawberry Shortcake started when I was very young. When I was two or three, I had a Strawberry Shortcake doll. One night I decided for some reason I was going to put Strawberry shortcake on my lamp shade. She wasn’t wearing any clothes; I am assuming my sister stole them from her. She was plastic with a soft body. Strawberry Shortcake must have been lying on her back on my lamp because, she had a burnt hole in the middle of her hiney. Thankfully, it was just contained to that little burn mark. I still have that doll, still naked with a burn mark on her bum.

I still like Strawberry Shortcake. I haven’t made a Strawberry Shortcake shaped cake yet like the one my mom made when I was little. I still have that pan too. I am not a hard core die-hard Strawberry Shortcake fan. I have a Strawberry Shortcake wallet, that my family makes fun of me for carrying. My sister even tried to get me a big girl wallet, I love mine though. I have had it for 5 years now. It is still in pretty good condition. It is just a little dirty from being carried around for so long. I bought it at Claire’s before I was even pregnant with Noah. I saw it and had to have it.

It really annoys me when they take stuff from my childhood and redo it. If you are going to bring it back, bring it back the way it should be. Don’t modernize it. It was fine when I was a kid, don’t make it cartoonier. Don’t glamorize it, My Little Ponies were fine the way they were. It’s the saame with Carebears. I think the Carebears we had when we were little are much cuter than the ones that kids now days have. What is up with the all the new Carebears? No I am not talking about the Cousins but the ones that someone invented just to sell more. Noah has claimed my Birthday Bear as his own, it needed a bath big time, I got that for my 2nd or 3rd birthday and so you can imagine how dirty it must have been.

What do you think about them remaking the characters from our childhoods? It is just not the same to me. It feels like they are an impostor in a sense. Maybe I just like things to stay status quo.

1 comment:

  1. I have to somewhat agree, it is a killer when u see an old show coming back & then watch it only to realize it has been modernized. Bummer for us, but our children love it and they will grow to know the show & love it the way we used to in the newer version ;-) I liked Rainbow Brite when I was little! Oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete