Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Car Seat safety for premature babies

When I was pregnant with Noah, I found out at 19 weeks that I was  very high risk and would have to have a c-section. I wasn’t sure when he was going to be born because I couldn’t go in to labor. One of the things I worried about was if he was going to be premature, especially when I had to go in the hospital two weeks before he was born, due to an emergency situation.  Thankfully, he was born at 37 weeks with fully developed lungs and was 7 pounds 12 ounces, so he wasn’t a preemie. I have had friends that have had their babies a lot earlier than expected and they were preemies.  I remember seeing their babies and thinking, goodness gracious, they are so tiny.  I thought Noah was tiny, but compared to one of my friends babies he was a tank.   I also remember looking at the premature babies at the hospital when I was going to the nursery to get Noah. I just remember thanking God that he was healthy and praying for the other babies’ health too. I know that when you have a baby premature your child can have all kinds of health problems.

There are all kinds of things you can buy that are made for preemies, special diapers, really tiny clothes, and even preemie car seats. When a baby is that small you have to be extra careful when doing anything. Especially riding in the car, most car seats are made for bigger babies. Even though they say 5 pounds to 21 pounds, it is probably a good idea to get a special car seat for them.  It is better to have something that is made for a preemie than an older baby.  The car seats are not only smaller, but also shorter.  Your child can lay down in the car seat; I think that is really neat. Noah looked so small in his car seat.  A car seat for a premature baby would hold them better and keep them more secure if you were to get in a car accident. The straps on a baby car seat may not fit on smaller baby. The straps on Noah’s first car seat seemed so big on him when he was a newborn. I was really worried about the straps being too big, of course that was me being a new mom.  I can’t imagine the extra worry moms of preemies have so I am sure an extra precaution or two would really help ease their mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment