Friday, January 22, 2010

My favorite childhood movie

My favorite movie growing up was Peter Pan. I am pretty sure the Peter Pan I loved so much is not the one you are thinking of. It is not the Disney one. In fact the Disney one isn’t even one I particularly care for from what I remember. I haven’t seen it in a very long time. My favorite Peter Pan is the one with Mary Martin. I believe it came out in the 70’s. I love that version. The characters are so much better. The music is awesome. It is so fun to watch. I highly recommend it. I have probably seen it a trillion times. I know all of the words and songs by heart. Of course they sing I won’t grow up and I’ve got to crow. My favorite song is Ugga Wugga Wigwam.

The story is also different. Captain Hook tries to poison Peter Pan twice, once with a cake and once with Peter’s medicine. Tink is represented by a flickering light. Then you have the animals that dance randomly in the Forrest. It is quality entertainment. I had it on VHS when I was little and wore it out I watched it so much. The tape broke. That was a very sad day for me. I am sure I cried.

This Peter Pan is really hard to find. I found it on DVD on Ebay. I happily bid on it. Less than a day later, the seller said I won before the auction was over. I was so excited but then I noticed that they had another copy listed shortly after. Who in the world has more than one copy of Mary Martin’s Peter Pan on DVD? Then I remembered what my mom always says, If it sounds too good to be true than it probably is. I decided not to send the seller the money. Had it ever been released on DVD? I know that is bad on my part since it is a contract.

I went on my little way wanting so much to watch my childhood favorite plus Noah was born before this and I desperately wanted to share the movie with him. The movie has been a big part of my life. I have many fond memories of watching it and running around singing the songs with old friends. About a month after I “won” the DVD that I never paid for. For the record this is the only time I ever didn’t pay. I got an email from Ebay. My heart sunk I was thinking oh no I am in big trouble. The email said that this seller is a scammer and stop payment or whatever. I thought that I was glad I didn’t send it. It was only 30 dollars but that’s still money.

I started watching it on You Tube. I thought that I would look again. I think this time I tried Amazon for the VHS. At the time I had a DVD-r VHS combo thing. So I could watch it. This time it came and I made a backup copy with my machine for my viewing pleasure since the tape is easily over years old and was used. I am excited to share this movie with my son. I am sure he will love it as much as I do.

What are some of your favorite movies as a child to watch? I am interested in hearing your responses.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think I am familiar with the Peter Pan you loved. I know Hook is my favorite movie of Peter Pan.

    As a little girl I watched The Wizard of Oz over and over again to a point where the VHS tape wore out and my parents threw it away. I was so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the best movie ever! lol. I really like Hook too. I have seen it a million times.

    I am sorry about The Wizard of Oz tape. I loved The Wizard of Oz too. I used to have bad dreams about The Wicked Witch of the West.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget the wicked witch..it was those flying monkeys that freaked me out!

    ReplyDelete