Saturday, March 19, 2011

Does You Baby Need to Diet?

I try to watch the news at least once a day so I know what is going on in the world. Usually it is at 5 pm. Lately there have been stories about parents putting their babies, yes babies on diets. They are afraid that they will be obese. I personally think that is sick. Babies don’t need to be on diets. They are babies.
 If you knew me when I was a baby, I was huge. I was a chubby little toddler too. I will post a picture of me so you can see how big I was. I ended up being normal or maybe a little too skinny. I think it is wrong to put your baby on a diet. I am not sure exactly how that would even work? Cut out formula or breast milk the child needs for nutrients? Limit their strained pears or peas? Cut out Cheerios and goldfish?

Seriously, babies don’t have huge stomachs. Do they strap them to baby sized treadmills and make them sweat to the nursery rhymes? Then that would cause the baby to be malnourished. What happened to the time where everyone wanted big healthy babies? Now even babies are being a victim of the size matters mentality. Is this healthy to our children’s self esteem, telling them that they are fat and need to diet?

I know that it is unhealthy to sit around and eat candy all day, and eat a lot of fast food. The parents make that choice they are the ones that are in control of what their child eats. I think that treats and fast food are fine in moderation. I would never put my child on a diet for weight loss issues. If it were a medical diet then sure, I am going to do what is best for my child. The baby diet is ridiculous and I am not sure why anyone would subject their child to that. I do believe in teaching about healthy eating and understanding about moderation. If my child had his way he would eat candy all day and Rice Krispy treats all night. It is my job as his mom to say no, you can have a little bit of candy and one Rice Krispy treat. I feed my child HFCS sometimes. I let him eat fries from Mc Donald’s. I do these things in moderation.

1 comment:

  1. I think that if you are giving children healthy food in portion sizes right for them you will be okay.

    ReplyDelete