Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I love Snickerdoodles





I love to make Snickerdoodles. I remember the first time I made them. It was in Mrs. Shrewsbury’s Home Economics class at Clay Jr. High.  She gave everyone a packet of recipes of things we were going to make.  I had eaten snickerdoodles before of course but, I hadn’t made them. It was a really good recipe and I lost my packet of recipes. I thought about going and asking for a new packet even after I was out of jr. high.  I was pretty sad that I couldn’t find the packet anymore.  As you might know I keep cookbooks for forever. I still have my 4-H cook book and my cookbook from when I was 8. I had to find a new Snickerdoodle recipe.  I found my new one on Crisco’s website. I think it was originally on the package of Crisco sticks, which are really convenient when you don’t want to mess with measuring shortening.   We have made these many times. We even made them in the shapes of fish and other sea life.

Here is the recipe from Crisco’s website:

Snickerdoodles
  • 2 cups sugar, divided
  • 1 cup Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
  • OR 1 stick Crisco® Baking Sticks Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose Flour
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
PREPARATION DIRECTIONS:
HEAT oven to 400°F.
COMBINE 1 1⁄2 cups sugar, shortening, eggs, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended.
COMBINE flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Add gradually to shortening mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.
COMBINE remaining 1⁄2 cup sugar and cinnamon in small bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
BAKE 7 to 8 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Place on cooling racks to cool completely.


What kinds of cookies do you like?

41 comments:

  1. I love Snickerdoodles too! These are cute

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I think the fact that they were fish shaped made them even better.

      Delete
  3. I love those tooo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good!! I LOVE No Bake cookies but my husband and kids are big chocolate fans so I don't make these that often. I bet they would love me to whip up a batch of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My aunt and uncle were visiting last month and I made Snickerdoodles and No Bake Cookies lol

      Delete
  5. I lurve shortbread. I've actually only made snickerdoodles once!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snickerdoodles are my favorite! But I'm a lover of all cookies - just no raisins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like raisins in food. I am fine with them plain but otherwise no thanks. I think its because they are baked?

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank ya ma'am we also made sand dollars and seahorses and a couple other sea life shapes.

      Delete
  8. My husband's favorite cookie in the whole world is a Snickerdoodle,and coincidently, it's also the only cookie he knows how to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. He should make up a batch for his lovely wife. :)

      Delete
  9. I should make my daughter a batch of these. I did a blogger cookie exchange during the holidays and she CHOWED the snickerdoodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep me in mind for the next blogger cookie exchange! That sounds like a lot of fun!

      Delete
  10. I can't believe I've never made snickerdoodles. :/ Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are one of my favorites..and so easy to make, too.

    I've never thought to do anything but circles with them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh...snickerdoodles sounds soo good. I may have to go bake right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE snickerdoodles! Too bad they aren't calorie free ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love snicker doodles!!!! My son and husband are partial to chocolate chip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love snickerdoodles too. They are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love them too & totally want to make some now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you! I love snickerdoodles too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Never heard of them but they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never had a snickerdoodle.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really adore all cookies and Snickerdoodles are up there in my top three.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all types of cookies and Snickerdoodles are in my top three!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are also one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never had snickerdoodles before but they look great!

    ReplyDelete